How can something taste so decadent and yet it is good for you? Let me introduce to you these dark, chocolatey date truffles filled with slivered almonds and coconut. I always find shop bought truffles to be too sweet and coyingly rich but these ones have the perfect balance between sweet and slight bitterness of the cocoa powder. These have always been a great hit with everyone that has tried them, followed by recipe requests!
- 3 cups dried pitted dates
- 3-4 tbsp water
- 6 tbsp unsweetend cocoa powder
- 70g slivered almonds
- 1 cup fine desiccated coconut
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- some fine desiccated coconut for shaping
- Combine dried dates with water in a large bowl. Cover and microwave until water boils and dates have softened (approximately 2 minutes).
- Mash dates with a fork and leave to cool for 5 minutes. Add cocoa powder, slivered almonds, desiccated coconut and vanilla essence to the dates and mix until everything is evenly incorporated.
- Divide mixture into balls of desired size and roll in fine desiccated coconut.
I can think of a multitude of variations for this recipe:
- You can use any combination of different nuts and seeds in place of the almonds
- Using different flavour essences in place of vanilla
- Adding in your favourite spices