How do you take a thick, luscious curry to the next level? By pouring it over fresh fluffy rice, grating over a layer of soft cheese and putting it under the grill until the cheese is gooey, bubbling and golden brown!
Without further ado, let me introduce to you my creation- Butter Prawn Curry Rice Gratin! Succulent prawns and juicy button mushrooms are smothered in a creamy tomato curry sauce infused with garlic, ginger, browned onions, cumin and chili flakes, which is then topped off with golden melted cheese. With each mouthful you get the piping hot creamy rice flavoured with the sweet and spicy curry balanced by the salty cheese!
Mmmmm just delicious!
- 12 prawn cutlets
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1-2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 6 button mushrooms, sliced and blanched
- 4-5 tbsp tomato sauce
- some sugar, to taste
- some cream/ coconut cream/ evaporated milk
- some cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 cups hot cooked rice
- Marinate prawns with the garlic, ginger, cumin, chili, salt and oil
- Pan-fry the prawns until half-cooked, set aside.
- In another pan, fry the sliced onion with some oil until very soft and browned over low heat.
- Add in the prawns, mushrooms, tomato sauce and some cream/ coconut cream/ evaporated milk. Cover and cook over low heat for 5 mins. Taste the sauce and season with some sugar and salt.
- Spread the cooked rice in a thin layer at the bottom of a gratin dish, pour the curry over the rice and scatter over the grated cheese. Put under the grill until the cheese has melted and golden. Serve immediately.